I presented the progress on my research at lab meeting today.
I haven’t gotten as far as I wanted to since my last lab meeting, but I did get as far as I expected to.
By the end of the summer I was expecting to have 5 of the 6 constructs successfully injected and integrated into C. elegans strains.
I’ve gotten 4 out of the 6 and the summer isn’t over yet. I’m on track to finish.
Otherwise, I’ve had a problem with the worms not staining like the ones of the person who used to work on this project.
His worms stained extremely dark. There’s so much blue color that the picture of them looks black.
My worms don’t look like that, but we aren’t sure why.
I’m going to tweak some things to try and make my strains look that way.
If the tweaks don’t work… I’ll have to check using a more complicated method to ensure that I injected the worms correctly.
That’s the gist of what I presented at the meeting.
The meeting went pretty well.
Today’s meeting was between my lab and the lab adjacent to us.
Our lab meetings are always joint meetings. The neighboring lab works on similar stuff. Both of us are small labs as well so it makes a lot of sense for us to meet together.
The professor from the other lab always asks the presenter tough questions.
I felt like I fielded everyone of his questions really well.
I felt prepared, I had answers to most of his questions.
I’m going to look for answers to the questions I don’t know in research papers.
I haven’t gotten around to describing more about what I do in lab, which might have made this post a little confusing.
I’ll try and upload a post that goes in more depth for my lab meeting presentation in the future.
That’s all for tonight.