Creating an audio recording obviously requires recording software and a microphone. My headset already has a decent 16000Hz microphone. I figured that was good enough. I still had to find recording software that worked for me.
I Googled some recommendations. The most commonly recommended app was Audacity. It’s free, it’s capable, so why not?
Unfortunately, Audacity can’t record sound from two different sources at the same time. The program is an excellent choice for people who are recording single narrator style podcasts, but doesn’t support interview style podcasts.
I investigated a bunch of other recording softwares. I tried about five, but they were either too complicated or cost ridiculous amounts of money.
I finally found a half-baked solution combining some programs I’d already purchased, NCH’s VRS and ManyCam. NCH made a voice modulator called Voxal that I’ve used previously for character voices in my campaign. ManyCam is a weird software piece I don’t even remember why I have on my computer.
My system sound on my computer can be routed through ManyCam to appear as a microphone sound. VRS can record two microphones at the same time, so we’re all good?
Everything went fine in my tests. Everything went fine while recording an episode with Will. Everything went fine while recording a few extra bits after the episode with Will. And then…
The system decided to break at the worst possible time while I was recording the episode with my first guest, Carina. I’m unsure why, but probably something to do with the janky routing through ManyCam.
I came up with a solution by buckling and putting a little money into the podcast. I’d hoped to start off without spending money, but I spent $70 for EaseUS.
Now my setup is Audacity for recording my own voice and EaseUS simultaneously recording my system sound for the guest. At the end of the interview, I move the EaseUS audio file into Audacity for editing alongside the native Audacity recording.
I’d hoped for a single program solution and I’m sure one exists, but this will work for now. Keeping the audio tracks separate for editing is important, so I’m glad I was able to preserve that. Hopefully no more lost audio disasters in my future!