Finalized the House

Just how it is.
Just how it is.

Woohoo! We got the keys to the house finally!

I got them in the afternoon and we went to check out the house which is now officially ours later that day.

We met one of our next door neighbors during that visit and her son and his children.

Her son’s house had apparently burned down so they were staying there until they got a rental lined up.

Pretty weird stuff, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

We learned a little bit more about the neighborhood too.

The other next door neighbor house is apparently a boarding house for UC Davis students.

We journeyed over to Ikea the next day to buy some furniture things.

We got a new bed frame for our new bedroom. The old frame will be going in the guest room.

We got some stuff for our second bathroom and we also got some curtains.

There was an unfortunate problem with all the curtains at Ikea. Every single one of them was at least eight feet long. This is an industry standard I guess.

We’ll have to cut and hem the curtains, but given how wide they are, we’ll need a sewing machine for that.

My wife is dreading asking her mom for the sewing machine because when she was a teenager she adamantly refused a sewing machine as a gift, stating that she “would never need it.”

Well… Now we do!

Maybe we can borrow one from my family instead. Or just buy one. Hemming those curtains by hand would be a nightmare.

And what would such a fun weekend be like without something going wrong! The hottest day of winter happened and we weren’t dressed appropriately (stupid Californians wearing sweaters in 65 degree weather!). We were unable to move as much stuff as we wanted to because of this.

Next things on the agenda, assemble what furniture we did get from Ikea and start moving as much as can from our apartment to the new house before spring break when we get my wife’s parents to come up and help with the big items.

-GoCorral

My Lab Meeting

Here's a picture of one of my PowerPoint slides from today's lab presentation.
Here’s a picture of one of my PowerPoint slides from today’s lab presentation.

I presented the progress on my research at lab meeting today.

I haven’t gotten as far as I wanted to since my last lab meeting, but I did get as far as I expected to.

By the end of the summer I was expecting to have 5 of the 6 constructs successfully injected and integrated into C. elegans strains.

I’ve gotten 4 out of the 6 and the summer isn’t over yet. I’m on track to finish.

Otherwise, I’ve had a problem with the worms not staining like the ones of the person who used to work on this project.

His worms stained extremely dark. There’s so much blue color that the picture of them looks black.

My worms don’t look like that, but we aren’t sure why.

I’m going to tweak some things to try and make my strains look that way.

If the tweaks don’t work… I’ll have to check using a more complicated method to ensure that I injected the worms correctly.

That’s the gist of what I presented at the meeting.

The meeting went pretty well.

Today’s meeting was between my lab and the lab adjacent to us.

Our lab meetings are always joint meetings. The neighboring lab works on similar stuff. Both of us are small labs as well so it makes a lot of sense for us to meet together.

The professor from the other lab always asks the presenter tough questions.

I felt like I fielded everyone of his questions really well.

I felt prepared, I had answers to most of his questions.

I’m going to look for answers to the questions I don’t know in research papers.

I haven’t gotten around to describing more about what I do in lab, which might have made this post a little confusing.

I’ll try and upload a post that goes in more depth for my lab meeting presentation in the future.

That’s all for tonight.

-Mister Ed